What is the Universal Credit postal address?

Get the Universal Credit postal address
Find out the postal address for Universal Credit now

Despite the fact that much of the UK benefits system is now handled online or via phone call, there are still plenty of people who want to get in touch with Universal Credit via mail. This can be for a number of reasons – with wanting to send official documentation being one. Lack of access to a computer, or issues with being able to talk on a telephone another. There are also those who feel that sending documents and communicating with Universal Credit via the post is more secure and sensible. While it is far from the primary way through which they communicate with claimants, there are ways of getting in touch with Universal Credit through their postal address.

What address can I use to mail Universal Credit?

It is worth noting that it advised that this address should be used only as a last resort – as advised by the Department for Work and Pensions team themselves. However, if you do need the Universal Credit postal address it is:


If you prefer to use the full address – which may be liable to cost you a postage stamp – you can mail Universal Credit at the following:

Canterbury Benefit Centre
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2EA

If you are mailing the Universal Credit address, it is worth taking into account that most common problems associated with the mail: namely, that items can get lost. If you are sending vital benefits information, or have things you would struggle to replace, it is advisable to take a copy before you send a letter to either of the UC addresses mentioned above. This way, you can be sure that your benefits claim isn’t going to be derailed because of, say, a Universal Credit sick note being lost.

The full document that describes this can be found here, and has been copied below.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Central Freedom of Information Team


Our reference: FoI 4917

Date: 4 December 2017

Dear Glenys Harriman

Thank you for your Freedom of Information request received on 20 November 2017. You asked:

Could you confirm whether, as with Live service UC claims, a claimant who fails to provide evidence at a first claim interview should either: Send their evidence (if within time scales) to the Universal Credit postal address (the Handling Site B one) or Send it to another address or Take it in at a later date at the local Job Centre if they agree to accept it or Should it be sent to either of the two addresses given in the UC Full Service LA support pack? or Should it be attached as an uploaded document to their journal?

Could you also confirm whether it is still the case that in order to attach a document a claimant has to ask their work coach to add a To Do onto their To Do list on the UC account?

DWP Response:

Many thanks for your enquiry regarding how claimants can provide evidence for a first claim.

Universal Credit Full Service is a digital service and claimants, on receipt of a To Do in their journal, can upload the relevant evidence documents or alternatively can provide their evidence documents to their Work Coach. When the claimant attends the Jobcentre, their Work Coach can create a To Do to enable the evidence to be uploaded.

Only when these alternatives are not available should claimants use the postal service. Post should be addressed to:


Or use the full address below

Canterbury Benefit Centre Mail Handling Site A Wolverhampton WV98 2EA

If you have any queries about this letter please contact me quoting the reference number above.

Yours sincerely,

DWP Central FoI Team

Your right to complain under the Freedom of Information Act

If you are not happy with this response you may request an internal review by e-mailing freedom-of-information-request@dwp.gsi.gov.uk or by writing to: DWP, Central FoI Team, Caxton House, Tothill Street, SW1H 9NA. Any review request should be submitted within two months of the date of this letter.

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office for a decision. Generally the Commissioner cannot make a decision unless you have exhausted our own complaints procedure. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF www.ico.org.uk/Global/contact_us or telephone 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745

Alternatives to mailing Universal Credit

The main alternative to mailing Universal Credit is, of course, keeping your correspondence online. If you have your details, you can log-in to the Universal Credit online portal here. Alternatively, you can find out about contacting Universal Credit over email through this link, or contact Universal Credit via their freephone 0800 number through the details on this link.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *